Current:Home > ScamsNorth Korea test launches apparent long-range missile designed to carry nuclear warhead, hit U.S. mainland -Capitatum
North Korea test launches apparent long-range missile designed to carry nuclear warhead, hit U.S. mainland
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 05:45:28
Tokyo — North Korea test launched two missiles in the 24 hours leading up to Monday morning, U.S. time, the second one an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) theoretically capable of reaching anywhere in the U.S. mainland, according to officials in South Korea and Japan.
North Korea didn't immediately confirm any details of its latest launches, but defense officials in South Korea and Japan — both close U.S. allies — said the long-range rocket travelled just over 600 miles before splashing down in the sea northwest of Tokyo and west of Japan's northern island of Hokkaido.
The North's leader Kim Jong Un watched with a smile as his military showed off its new long-range missiles during recent parades in the capital city of Pyongyang — some of them likely similar to the one launched Monday morning.
This has been a record year for North Korea's weapons testing program. The nation has launched at least 36 missiles, including a rocket that carried a spy satellite into space in November.
South Korean officials described the long-range weapon tested Monday as a solid fuel-powered missile, suggesting it was probably the Kim regime's Hwasong-18 ICBM. A solid fuel system, compared to the older liquid fuels, makes a missile much more mobile and faster to deploy, and from anywhere its launch vehicle can be driven.
That makes such a weapon system more difficult for adversaries to detect and prepare for prior to a launch.
Adm. John Aquilino, head of the U.S. military's Indo-Pacific Command, was quoted Monday by Japan's Kyodo news agency as saying that all of North Korea's "increased missile capabilities and testing — from ICBM all the way to the space launch vehicle last month — is concerning."
But he told reporters in Tokyo that the U.S., Japan and South Korea had been "able to predict a launch" and, just two days before it, "actually pushed our ballistic missile defense ships forward to be postured to defend our three nations for this expected launch."
He acknowledged the challenges presented by North Korea's modern weapons systems, calling it "incredibly hard" to locate a launcher and position forces to respond in advance of a launch. He vowed, however, the allies would "continue to work to get in front of any launches as opposed to being responsive after."
The Hwasong-18 — designed to be tipped with a nuclear warhead — has been tested by North Korea previously, and Kim has described it as the most powerful weapon in his country's nuclear arsenal.
All of North Korea's launches violate United Nations Security Council resolutions that ban missile development by the Kim regime. Kim, however, insists his isolated nation needs to develop its weapons, including its nuclear missiles, to defend against the threat of an attack by the U.S. and its allies.
Washington, Seoul and Tokyo insist the threat to regional peace is from Kim and his military and they say there's no intention to attack or invade North Korea.
The two most recent launches appeared to be a response by Kim's government to nuclear deterrence talks taking place in Washington between the U.S. and South Korea - and the reported arrival over the weekend of a U.S. nuclear-powered submarine in South Korea's Busan port.
- In:
- Kim Jong Un
- Missile Test
- South Korea
- Nuclear Weapons
- Missile Launch
- North Korea
- Japan
Elizabeth Palmer has been a CBS News correspondent since August 2000. She has been based in London since late 2003, after having been based in Moscow (2000-03). Palmer reports primarily for the "CBS Evening News."
veryGood! (39454)
Related
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- TikToker Eixchel Berroteran Speaks Out After Stepdad Allegedly Tries to Murder Her and Her Mom
- Baywatch’s Jeremy Jackson Confesses to Smelling Costars' Dirty Swimsuits
- Funko teams up with NFL so you can Pop! Yourself in your favorite football team's gear
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Authorities search for missing California couple last seen leaving home on nudist ranch
- Colorado vs. North Dakota State live updates: How to watch, what to know
- Judge allows bond for fired Florida deputy in fatal shooting of Black airman
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Free People's Labor Day Deals Under $50 - Effortlessly Cool Styles Starting at $9, Save up to 70%
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? Fever star sets another WNBA rookie record
- US Open Day 3 highlights: Coco Gauff cruises, but title defense is about to get tougher
- Why 'Reagan' star Dennis Quaid is nostalgic for 'liberal Republicans'
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Justice Department watchdog finds flaws in FBI’s reporting of sex crimes against children
- You’ll Flip Over Simone Biles and Gabby Thomas' Meet Up With Caitlin Clark
- Judge allows bond for fired Florida deputy in fatal shooting of Black airman
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Steph Curry re-ups with Warriors, agreeing to one-year extension worth $62.58 million
Powerball winning numbers for August 28: Jackpot rises to $54 million
Christina Hall appears to be removing ring finger tattoo amid Josh Hall divorce
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
The Latest: Trump to campaign in Michigan, Wisconsin; Harris will have sit-down interview with CNN
Is job growth just slowing from post-pandemic highs? Or headed for a crash?
Justice Department watchdog finds flaws in FBI’s reporting of sex crimes against children